The Midlands Region is located in the heart of Ireland, and encompasses the counties of Laois, Longford, Offaly and Westmeath. The region covers an area of around 6,524 square kilometres and accounts for 9.5% of the total area of the State. The Midlands has a combined population of 282,4101 (6.2% of State total).
Midlands Region - Key strengths and opportunities:
- A dynamic region, centrally located in the heart of Ireland, with unparalleled national interconnectivity.
- National corridor for road and rail infrastructure within 1 hour of Dublin and Galway.
- Good access to a number of international airports and ports to serve European and global markets.
- Significant catchment area with access to a highly qualified workforce and a diverse range of graduates and postgraduates across all disciplines.
- Strong Institute of Technology (Athlone IT) serving R&D needs of both indigenous and multinational industry, with three strategic research institutes and close links to Universities and other Institutes of Technology.
- Advanced energy networks.
- Track record in serving global markets.
- A number of Business and Technology Parks designed to international standards.
- Strong collaboration between public bodies in the region.
- Significant natural amenities and heritage to offer a unique visitor experience.